Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Story

Ever since I started listening to Chinese music, I always had the pinyin lyrics with the English translation, if available. Then one day, it came to a point approximately a year ago when I realised that I understood a portion of what was being said and I could read at least half of the lyrics. Of course, there were the times when I really got into a song and there were no lyrics (pinyin and/or the translation) available online - but the Chinese lyrics were most often than not were. That begins the stage where I started to translate songs with much help from an online dictionary.

At first, I started with songs that I couldn't find online but as time went on, I also saw it as a way to further develop my Chinese as well as to practice it. In short, I began to translate any songs that I was into, whether or not I could find them online and I found that as time went on, I could translate more without the help of a dictionary. Even if I couldn't find the lyrics, I would just go onto YouTube and find the KTV video of it and copy the lyrics from there.

After a period of almost half a year, I had a good amount of my hard drive taken up by lyrics and I decided that it was time to post them online just in case my computer crashed and so I originally posted them here, but that may change to here soon enough, because the original one seems to have a problem with posting up entries with Chinese characters. Then, just a month or so ago, the side list was getting rather long so I decided to make a new blog to categorize them more nicely and that is what this is for.

All of my translated songs (except for a song in Cantonese which I added the pin yin for) are categorized by the singer by their most well-known name (mostly their English version). You can find them off to the side bar or just look to the following:
Last Update: 5 song(s) added on 16 June 2010
Total # of Songs Archived: 130

Exception(s):
[Will Be Listed Under the First Letter of the Title]
Ai Dao Xia Tian/愛到夏天 (Love Contract OST/愛情合約 OST)
Tong Hua/童話 (Cantonese Version)

Of course, a warning: I have only learned Chinese for two years, and even though I'm in 4th year Chinese due to me studying abroad in China for a semester, that means nothing. :) I skipped those years which is nice and all, but that also means there are some (a lot of) characters and grammar that I skipped learning. I translate everything with the help of online dictionaries for those words I don't know and from what I learn in Chinese class and there's always room for improvement. For at least half of the songs here, you most likely could find a better translation out there somewhere. This is just what I do for fun, a hobby, if you will, so don't blame me if something just stinks. Thanks much!

Some of my favorite sites to go to for translated lyrics:
Chinese Music Blog (some of my first translations are posted here)
Ting Dong
Jay-Chou.Net

3 comments:

  1. hi, i was looking for translations of songs and your website was pretty awesome.

    if by any chance...you have time, i would by SO appreciative of this translation.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?V=itbegiqmxwg

    if you do, let me know by my email aelee@bcm.edu thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for translation of songs for a friend and I chanced upon your blog. It's amazing and awesome. Thank you and keep up the good job! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry it took me this long to reply back. For some odd reason, I couldn't reply until recently - so here I am!

    AUSTIN: I tried to go to that link but the video was taken down. Could you give me the title to the song as well as the artist as well, if you still want the translation, that is. Again, sorry for the late reply. :)

    PETITE LASS: Thanks!! ^^ I'm glad to hear that it helped you.

    ReplyDelete